Who Am I?

Well, inquisitive reader, let me answer. I am a wife, a mom and I have chronic bad hair. I like made uppy words and Unnecessary Capitalization. If you know who the guy in the bottom right picture is, you're probably my best friend. Also, I own several Edward dolls which I write about HERE. No, I don't use drugs. By the way, if your love canned tomatoes, visit my stash HERE.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Kearsie The Hermit

It's been so long since I was a stay at home mom that I've forgotten what it's like to be a stay at home mom.  I totally feel out of sorts.

For the past almost three years, I was a working mom/come home and do laundry until midnight mom.  I felt continual guilt because I hadn't played Barbies and Pictureka with my kids enough.  I didn't fawn on The Hubs enough.  I didn't cook or bake or what have you...enough.

And now I'm back at it, as one of those at home moms.  And I'm clueless as to what to do.  There's only so much housework until you go crazy and become a Mommy Dearest screaming at your kids for using wire hangers.

I'm writing now.  Like writing writing.  Did you know that?  That I harbor this quasi-secret dream of being a writer?  Somedays, I convince myself I'll rock it and pump out this book and things will be totally peachy because I'll be able to afford a Dyson.  And then somedays I sit and stare at my computer thinking, what the crap are you thinking?

Today's a good day.  I managed to write two pages.  Big deal, you scoff.  Hey, you try putting sludge from your brain on cyber paper and then you can tell me it's no big deal.

But what I really want to talk about today is...

Hermitness.

I had no idea I was a hermit until we moved here and I went to make zucchini bread but lacked about fifteen ingredients because, hello, we just moved here.

And suddenly the idea of trolling the aisles at the Walmarts was so...too much.

As I sit, I'm in my PJs and it's near noon.  I'm trying to muster myself from my chair to get me and the fam ready to attempt the library.  This is a big deal because it's in another town and I've never been there before.

This is different than laziness.  This is Hermitness.

And heading to the library?  That is huge Anti-Hermitic behavior.

Tell me, do you know what I'm talking about?  Also, what's your favorite flavor of cake?  Because, I think I'm going to reward myself while I'm out for conquering my Hermitness.

13 comments:

Katye said...

Totally know what you're talking about, and I've lived here for 3 years! It takes a lot of energy to haul kids and yourself and your stuff out somewhere.
And I like "Yum Yum Cake" which is what my family always called that gooey kind Paula Dean makes with all the butter and cream cheese. Oh yeahhhh! I have a recipe if you need it.

Miss Mandy said...

I'm a total hermit. It's gotten worse since starting homeschooling.

My favorite cake is McDonald's bday cake. It's big, cheap & gives me the runs (hey - any that doesn't stay inside is less weight I gain).

TBG said...

I just made a mississippi mud cake. It's the best. I found it in a 'Southern Cakes' recipe book, Here it is online. http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=642287

The only thing I did was to make it 3/4 cups of cocoa melted in with the butter before everything else is mixed in. I just mixed everything up in a pot. Then at the end I added some extra sugar. about a half cup. I also made it with walnuts instead.

For the icing, it comes out a little lumpy, so I strained it.

Actually this might be a little more than you were looking for, but it was a very very easy recipe.

Aunt Vam said...

Angel Food Cake is my fave, because it is almost guilt-less pleasure due to no fat. Until you add strawberries with a huge glob of cream. Or a massive drizzle of chocolate syrup.

Unknown said...

YAY, welcome to the world of being a hermit! I don't get out of my jammies most days. And also, the neighbors think I am crazy for wearing a silver tiara with mariboo feathers to get the mail (or maybe they were staring at me because they hadn't realized I am a princess and now they know).

Such is life as a SAHM!

Also! 2 pages! YAY! You go, writer girl, you!!!

Sara said...

Coconut. I'm a hermit too. Which you wouldn't know by how much I whined about house arrest. Our library is half a block from my house, and I have never been. Amazon delivers.
Also, the two pages? Cements you as my hero.

Amy said...

Oh I know exactly what you're talking about. I will eat cereal for dinner for weeks on end to keep from having to go out to stores once I get home. I've even had a friend pick milk up for me so that I didn't have to leave the house. So, yes, I get the hermitness. Also, caramel cake, that's my favorite.

Creative Junkie said...

Since I've been blogging, I've completely immersed myself in the online communities and have become a real world hermit. Going to the grocery store is becoming an excursion.

God help me.

(pssst - I love all flavors of cake except red velvet. What the hell is in that cake anyway? blech)

Macey said...

I love all cakes.
Also, I'm a hermit too. I have stages...major hermit, and semi hermit. But I'm always to some degree, a hermit.

Anonymous said...

I am an anti-hermit. I love to go out and meet people. Except at Wal-Mart. I only go there in secret, usually wearing a disguise because I don't want anyone to know it's me. And they have a good selection of cotton yarn. whatevs.

chocolate cake, whipped cream frosting and fresh strawberries. (in season now...) send me a piece.

Valarie said...

what has colcorado done to you?! wal-mart used to be your escape when the kids were driving you crazy and now you don't want to go near it? lance must mail you back here to me, PRONTO!

angie128 said...

I call it "The Sickness".

And my condition is getting worse....

Vanessa said...

Take a deep breath. Go out. Your girls are at a pretty unscary age for going out, and they make for good conversation pieces, really.

Related Posts with Thumbnails